Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You Aware? Hardtop Installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are You Aware? Hardtop Installation

    That time of the year when those of us fortunate enough to own hardtops will be installing them, the benefits we enjoy quieter cockpit less body flexing resulting in less rattles more ridged in that it seems to hold panels in place. Mine was 1 of 45 @Triumphest USA 1 of 40 @ATDI Canada 3 of us @San Diego Brits Car Day excluding mine all had hardtops bolted/tightened down tight where the round rubber feet/mounts were touching the rear deck. Advised them to adjust/raise rear of hardtop so rubber do hickeys not touching as they will rub & leave imprint on rear deck during flexing (visuals: bottom rear 2 &1/2 inches from rear corner/tip of hardtop)

    1st 5 yrs of ownership ran my hardtop tightened down said feet/mounts touching rear deck etched imprint of feet/mounts into rear deck similar to dry water spot etched into paint matter not products/buffing couldn't remove had to respray. Since then always maintain minimum 1/2 inch clearance between those feet/mounts and rear deck and anyone I see sporting TR6 hardtop look at their scenario with them go to my TR6 show the difference which you can't tell unless pointed out to you.

    Raise 'em up a tad!

    Here You can see how mine is raised up off rear deck. Scroll to hardtop (15th pic) clic twice to magnify
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/picsby...h/42928363141/
    Last edited by tr6nitjulius; 10-16-2019, 01:10 PM. Reason: word

  • #2
    good advice!

    I put mine on last weekend and did the same thing (raised it up a tad) after leaving marks on the deck last year.
    73 TR6
    Libertyville, IL
    My TR6

    Comment


    • #3
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2108CE15-077B-47E3-A30D-9B0BE38D4C51.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	527363
      Speaking of hardtops, Chris Holliday (of the Rochester, NY Hollidays) hooked me up with a color matching HT! Haven’t been able to drive it yet due to yet another brake master cylinder failure

      Click image for larger version

Name:	D9557DED-6633-43EB-8595-11FF39E95F88.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	527361Click image for larger version

Name:	E33F405F-B35F-4527-8028-74DFD9B0922F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	527362
      So much rust, so little time

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phil73 View Post
        good advice!

        I put mine on last weekend and did the same thing (raised it up a tad) after leaving marks on the deck last year.
        We live & we learn glad you caught/made adjustment it before it created a bigger issue

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tr250 View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2108CE15-077B-47E3-A30D-9B0BE38D4C51.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	527363
          Speaking of hardtops, Chris Holliday (of the Rochester, NY Hollidays) hooked me up with a color matching HT! Haven’t been able to drive it yet due to yet another brake master cylinder failure

          Click image for larger version

Name:	D9557DED-6633-43EB-8595-11FF39E95F88.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	527361Click image for larger version

Name:	E33F405F-B35F-4527-8028-74DFD9B0922F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	527362
          Good color match looks like your TR6 came with factory hardtop

          Comment


          • #6
            Any of you hardtop guys using Patton's plates to dress up the interior? http://www.pattonmachine.com/Blanking-Plate.htm

            1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
            Patton TBI
            HVDA Toyota 5 speed
            Goodparts Nissan Diff
            Goodparts CVJs
            AAW Wire Harness
            Miata Seats
            Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BobbyD75TR6 View Post
              Any of you hardtop guys using Patton's plates to dress up the interior? http://www.pattonmachine.com/Blanking-Plate.htm
              Uh, yup. that's my 76 in the picture that Rick used.
              Cheers,
              Wolf
              76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
              72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
              68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

              Comment


              • #8
                I learned from the best!
                '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                Redlines always.
                My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

                Comment

                Are You Aware? Hardtop Installation

                Collapse

                Search

                Collapse

                There are no results that meet this criteria.

                6-Pack Statistics

                Collapse

                Topics: 38,574   Posts: 479,969   Members: 8,261   Active Members: 207
                Welcome to our newest member, Thacket.

                Upcoming Events

                Collapse

                There are no results that meet this criteria.

                Working...
                X